Below: Enjoy Jon Stewart's dark humor about the dilemma:
Below: Jon Stewart remarks about ISIS as the most feared terrorists in the world:
Below: Michael Scheuer, Former CIA Intelligence Officer, Chief of the bin Laden Issue Station: ISIS wants to lure us in.
Below Michael Sheurer explains why Americans and Brits are joining the fight with ISIS.
• “The Islamic State (IS) … formerly the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) … or the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) … is a Sunni jihadist group in the Middle East ... (that) claims religious authority over all Muslims across the world and aspires to bring much of the Muslim-inhabited regions of the world under its political control” —wikipedia
• Under its leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi (b. 1971), ISIS has grown significantly … we've seen figures on the low side of 8,000, on the high side over 50,000. Go figure, they're a loose group.
• "By the start of this summer (2014) there were as many as 12,000 foreign fighters, from more than 70 countries, fighting for ISIS." —I.C.S.R., King’s College London/NYer
• “al-Baghdadi was held at Camp Bucca as a 'civilian internee' by US Forces-Iraq from February until December 2004, when he was recommended for an 'unconditional release' by a Combined Review and Release Board. A number of newspapers, in contrast, have stated that al-Baghdadi was interned from 2005 to 2009. These reports originated in an interview of Army Col. Kenneth King, the former commander of Camp Bucca, and are not substantiated by US Department of Defense records.” —wikipedia
• “German Chancellor Merkel said Germany would arm the Kurds — a semi-independent ethnic group in northern Iraq – fighting ISIS militants. This is what you could call a big deal: Germany hasn’t gotten involved like this in an ongoing conflict since WWII.” —theSkimm.com
• British PM David Cameron after the UK raised its terror threat level to severe for the first time since January 2010: “ISIL is a greater and deeper threat to our security than we have known before.”
• “ISIS poses a threat well beyond the region. With a united response led by the United States and the broadest possible coalition of nations, the cancer of ISIS will not be allowed to spread to other countries.” —Secretary of State John Kerry
• “Saudi King warns ISIS will reach U.S. in 2 months.” —Fox News 9.2.14
• “There are new fears that (ISIS) could aim at ‘soft targets’ within the U.S.” —Fox News 9.2.14
• “The only clear lesson from all of this is that no matter the propagandistic script used, U.S. military action in that region virtually never fulfills the stated goals (nor is it intended to do so), and achieves little other than justifying endless military action for its own sake … Does anyone really believe that ‘limited’ bombing of Syria and Iraq in a rage against ISIS will result in anything other than more justifications for military action in that region?” —Glenn Greenwald, The Intercept
• Below: Watch the Marx Brothers rally for war (worth a minute or two):